Saturday 5 May 2018

Krusty Comments

The thing about making sandwiches for loads of people is that you end up with loads of crusts - 30 to be exact.
These were basic Lidl loaves, so not exactly the most flavoursome bread, and also they varied in thickness, depending where the loaf was positioned in the slicing machine.
But I could not waste them!
This is what I did with the leftovers...
Sunday - 4 crusts became the basis for a bread and butter pudding
Monday - 4 crusts were toasted and topped with baked beans
Tuesday - the rest were made into breadcrumbs. One quarter fresh breadcrumbs in the fridge, the remainder toasted and cooled, then put into airtight jars. Some of these were used in a dessert on Tuesday evening - tossed in a little butter and brown sugar, and layered with fruit and yogurt.
I like to keep the toasted crumbs less finely processed, so they add a bit of texture.
Good uses for breadcrumbs

  • Toasted, pan fried with sugar, in desserts.
  • Toasted, mixed with a few dried herbs and seasonings, used as a salad topping
  • fresh in Queen of Puddings
  • fresh in HFW's marmalade pudding
  • sprinkled into home made soups as a thickener
  • coating for home made fishcakes 
  • to add an extra crunchy topping to macaroni cheese or cottage pie
  • to pad out homemade meatballs or burgers
Krusty, Krumby, Krispy or Krunchy...but please don't waste your crust!
PS - my Mum always said if I ate my crusts I'd get curly hair. You have no idea how many crusts I ate in my childhood in the hopes this might be true.Were you bribed in similar ways?







4 comments:

  1. Someone told me that. I had very curly hair and was desperate for it to be straight (why do we want the opposite of what we have?! 😃) Also I refused to eat crusts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I grew up, we called it the heel of the loaf as you get crust all round each slice : ) For me, the heel is the best bit of the loaf and I love a nice thick heel toasted for my breakfast, or toasted with a bowl of homemade soup for my lunch. There never seems to be glut of heels in our house for there to be a need to find things to do to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made very good use of your bread ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always enjoyed eating the crusts!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!