Friday 6 October 2017

Going, Going, Gone!

When I was given a Rather Large Marrow recently, Bob was concerned about whether we would manage to eat it all. Marrow is not his favourite veg - but he knows I am unhappy about wasting food.
So I worked very hard to find different ways to serve it.  I did stuffed marrow, and marrow lemon curd [here]
Five years ago I blogged about this veg [To marrow, and to marrow, and to marrow] and back then I did three things - a savoury stuffed marrow, jars of preserve, and a cake. This year I have done similar things, and the third part of the trilogy was this tea loaf.

This loaf is quite light as it has no butter in the recipe.You need a greased and lined loaf tin, and you should preheat the oven to 170'C
INGREDIENTS
150g light brown sugar
3 eggs, separated
150g grated raw marrow
grated zest and juice of ½lemon
75g sultanas
75g semolina
1 tsp almond essence
150g self raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
METHOD

  1. Whisk the egg yolks and butter till pale and creamy [3 minutes with electric whisk] Stir in grated marrow, lemon zest and juice, sultanas, semolina and almond essence.
  2. Sift flour, salt, cinnamon together and fold in using a metal spoon
  3. In separate bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks. Stir a tbsp into the cake mix to loosen, then fold in the remaining egg white as gently as you can.
  4. Tip into loaf tin, level the surface, bake for 1 hour [until skewer comes out clean when inserted]
  5. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool completely before serving. It is good as it is, or spread with butter - especially when accompanied by a nice cup of tea!
If you have no marrows, you can use courgettes, pumpkin, squash, carrot - or beetroot if you want a marbled purple loaf. 
I have enjoyed this years marrow-fest, but I do not want to cook any more marrows for a while, thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Marrow has never appealed to me. I can remember, during the war, the smell of Marrow and ginger jam. I did not like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just got rid of one giant courgette we've been given two more!!! AArgh! I am probably going to try this recipe at the weekend (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/montacute-house/recipes/lemon-courgette-cake) similar to yours, but with fewer ingredients. I'm not aware of having seen semolina in France - though it's not something I have ever cooked with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not,,I confess, a marrow fan either. I find them rather dull.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make zucchini bread, here; one of my favorites. It is sweet, but called bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very yummy. With those ingredients, it would taste so good! It's about time for me to think about making pumpkin bread, a favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!