Monday 6 February 2012

Look In At The Library!

Here is our wonderful village library. The staff are friendly, hard-working, knowledgeable, and always helpful.

library

After April 1st, the opening hours are to be reduced. I am trying to use the library much more this year. Not just for my own benefit, but also to help ensure the service is retained.

juli donaldson

The Children's Laureate, Julia Donaldson [the Gruffalo Lady] published a poem last week in support of libraries. Here it is

The Library Poem

Everyone is welcome to walk through the door.

It really doesn't matter if you're rich or poor.

There are books in boxes and books on shelves.

They're free for you to borrow, so help yourselves.

Come and meet your heroes, old and new,

From William the Conqueror to Winnie the Pooh.

You can look into the Mirror or read The Times,

Or bring along a toddler to chant some rhymes.

The librarian's a friend who loves to lend,

So see if there's a book that she can recommend.

Read that book, and if you're bitten

You can borrow all the other ones the author's written.

Are you into battles or biography?

Are you keen on gerbils or geography?

Gardening or ghosts? Sharks or science fiction?

There's something here for everyone, whatever your addiction.

There are students revising, deep in concentration,

And school kids doing projects, finding inspiration.

Over in the corner there's a table with seating,

So come along and join in the Book Club meeting.

Yes, come to the library! Browse and borrow,

And help make sure it'll still be here tomorrow

The-Gruffalo

Saturday was National Libraries Day. Did you know that? I called in at the KM library in the morning to return books, borrow books, swap some magazines, and order a DVD [not a usual activity for me, but that was free because it was Libraries Day] I also met a friend I hadn’t seen for ages and we had a good chat.

As JD says, everyone is welcome.

When did you last call in at your library?

What things do you do there besides borrowing books?

[some people, like Mags, actually get paid to work in a library]

9 comments:

  1. I love my library!I borrow on average 20 books per month,. I attend one of the book clubs there and craft lessons. I have learnt felting, card making, scrapbooking, jewellery making, ceramic painting, and sugar craft at my library - all free courses. This year's choices include guitar lessons and watercolours. There are the usual kids groups, a family history group and IT lessons & access. Consumer advce and counselling is also based there.
    Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a busy place, serving the whole community- you are one of the blessed ones!

      Delete
  2. I wish my local library was still a library. The last time I visited, I found it full of toys and computers. The book shelves had been reduced and what books were there were old, dirty and falling apart. I love books and long for the 'quiet please' library to return. It's just not the same experience going there now, so my last visit was a couple of years ago and I think that was to use the photocopier. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad that in an effect to 'modernise' the books have been so sorely neglected. I feel it is important that computers are provided - for the sake of the less affluent pupils I teach who do not have access at home, yet are constantly set homework which MUST be done on a PC.

      There has to be a happy balance between bookshelves and other activities, surely?

      Delete
  3. Do you think that computers and Kindles are taking the place of books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in THIS family, while I live and breathe !!!!

      Delete
  4. We have more books at home than our village library does. Our village population is 250.
    The library is also our municipal office.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the library last week - I borrowed 2 crafting books. When the girls were young we used to go to storytelling sessions at the library. K in particular loved them - she has always loved books, stories and language - no wonder she's now an English teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it really doesn't feel like work. Ever! All that Barbara Pym that no-one ever reads, and all that sports and physio stuff that everyone does and I don't mind one bit! Well said, Angela. I'll be taking back the book that I reserved this week and having a civilised and solitary browse before going with suns over half-term next week. SAVE OUR LIBRARIES! Us too Scarlet- Jo still loves the Thursday afternoon story time, and Matt hangs around cool on the edges, but I know he listens too! And woe betide me if I miss one of the seasonally themed stories and craft sessions- all free! Libraries here are starting to lend Kindles and e-books and all have computers and wi-fi for FREE use.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!