Saturday 31 December 2011

The End Of The Year

janusThe first month of the new year is called January after the Roman two-faced god Janus, who looked both backwards and forwards. It has been an amazing year, as I look back – some fantastic things have happened which I never imagined at the end of 2010

  • the whole Bletchley Park saga – I’m still excited about all that
  • being interviewed by three different BBC local radio stations, and being mentioned as a prize-winner on BBC Radio 4
  • meeting so many blog-friends, including the trip to London to see Floss and co, the trip to Ireland where I met Mags and Catherine, and having both Jane and Elizabethd to stay here [as well as other random meetings along the way]
  • my daughters are continuing to achieve great things – Liz doing her placement at The Brooke in the spring, and Steph travelling hither and thither [for work and leisure]
  • the weight loss [admittedly that has stalled a little this month] but we are both much healthier, slimmer and fitter. Bob looks very good in his new suit [watch out Mr Craig]
  • the running – and the overwhelming generosity of my sponsors. If you had told me last December that I would be named Runner Of The Month in July by a National Charity, I would have laughed at you.
  • there have been lots of opportunities to preach at different churches, and the studying and preparation time has been a real blessing to me [if not to those who’ve had to listen!]
  • Cornerstones – still proving a real Godsend – and we are glad it has been used to bless others too.

And yet…despite all the great stuff, there have been difficult moments.

  • Various friends and family members have had quite serious health issues,
  • We have been saddened by the deaths of a number of good friends
  • Both our brothers have had major hassles with house moves.
  • Financially, it has not been at all easy [we know that we are not alone in this] particularly since the PM decided to abandon the ‘Making Good Progress’ tutoring programme. That was a brilliant scheme, producing great results nationally, and I had been involved since the original pilot sessions. There’s been less Supply Teaching available too, as schools struggle to manage very tight budgets.

Then finally there is the fig tree – after three years of producing a wonderful crop of figs each summer – absolutely nothing! The tiny figlets fell off – then the leaves fell too.

DSCF2962

The tree stands bare and barren in the corner of the sun-lounge. But it is a constant reminder to me of the words of the prophet Habakkuk

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I WILL rejoice in the LORD, I WILL joy in the God of my salvation.

The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

I have no idea what 2012 will bring – but I I know that God has it all sorted out, and I will continue tracing rainbows through the rain, and I can trust His Sovereign grace. He has never let me down yet!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful year, in spite of the lowlights. I love those words from Habakkuk, some of my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Angela!
    Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this- and may all your ways prosper in 2012, wondrous Almonds x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite passage of Scripture ~
    Habakkuk 3:17-18.
    God bless you in the New Year, Angela.
    With love,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!