Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Wonderful Guy!

Oh to be the sort of genteel Jane Brockett sort of blogging woman, who spends every afternoon having tea at elegant places like Rushton Hall, whose sewing machine is constantly running up pretty little fancies, charming quilts, fripperies and delights…who makes fabulous cupcakes and has a beautifully tidy home full of sweet music and glorious flower arrangements.

But that’s some other girl – this one spent her afternoon with the sewing machine on the dining table – and draped all round the room, a gazebo in need of refurbishment!

DSCF2321

It is the Village Fun day on Sunday – and in view of the strong winds we have had this week, Bob felt this gazebo really ought to have some proper guy ropes. I have sewn rings on each corner, and re-stitched the fastenings at the bottom of the vertical stripey bits. And I’ve fretted about the best way to attach the guy ropes. Oh Jane, why are you in Canada – a nautical woman like you would know what knots I need! I shall have to check my knot encyclopaedia!

DSCF2322

Should I go for the Piwich Knot, the Ossel Hitch, or the Gaff Topsail Halyard Bend? I have ruled out the Clinging Clara and the Jansik Special [who makes up these fabulous Knot Names?]

I shall wait till my beloved comes back from his meeting, and ask his wise advice – and meanwhile I’ll sing a favourite song about my guy!

great film!

9 comments:

  1. I think that fixing a gazebo for everyone to enjoy is a much better use of a sewing machine then adding lace to tea cosies... as for knots I haven't made a fancy one since the sea cadets and can only remember something about going through around the rabbit hole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be a Half hitch that you need? But my boating days are far behind me now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The resident knot expert (Chris) advises using 'a round turn and two half hitches'. It is the knot used to tie up ships (big boy warships)to bouys. They are also easy to undo....clever things, knots!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be VERY impressed to know that when I got home from visiting a friend, I discovered Bob had already attached the guys in my absence - using 'round turn and two half hitches'
    What WAS that 'rabbit hole' thing ? - I have a vague memory of that from tying knots in the Brownies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of time when Brownie and Girl Guide knowledge should come to the fore - but hey,that's so many years ago!! Good to know that together you got the job done. Hope it's not too windy for you on the weekend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no idea about any knots, wish I did though, as it would make life easier at times.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris is nodding an approval of Bob's choice!
    Jane x
    The rabbit hole thing is a bowline....a running bowline is with a loop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob has a wonderful GIRL! You are so nice with your sewing machine, always whipping up something for someone else. You are the ultimate problem solver!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 'rabbit hole' thing was a bow-line, used a lot in sailing.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!