Saturday 30 April 2011

Towers Of Strength

Do you recognise these three?

eiffel

First of all, the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I love Paris, and one of these days will visit this lovely city again.

I was there in July 1981 [the day Charles and Diana got married] and in April 1992 [on my 37th birthday] and in August 2006 [our first holiday with motorbike and tent]

Paris is a truly romantic city, IMHO. Built in 1889, the tower is 324m high

 

crystal_palace_mast

Next, the Crystal Palace TV mast. We lived near here when Bob was studying at Spurgeon’s College. I confess that years later, I convinced one of Liz’s schoolfriends that you could see Paris from certain high points in London – as we drove round the corner, I pointed to this mast in the distance and said “Look, the Eiffel Tower!” I love London. Currently the 3rd tallest structure in the capital, this was built in 1956, and is 219m high.

 

blackpool

Finally the Blackpool Tower – because this weekend we are in Blackpool for the annual Baptist Assembly [going up on the bike!]Blackpool isn’t my favourite place, I admit.

I am setting this post up in advance, as I have no idea how busy I am going to be – lots of worship sessions, two Connexion meetings, mission stuff – plus meeting friends old and new, eating together …and maybe even a quick paddle in the sea. This tower went up in 1894, a mere 158m high.

I am reminded of the verse in Proverbs 18.10

The name of the Lord is a strong tower,
The righteous run into it, and they are saved

clondalkin towerBut these towers don’t look like they’d give much protection – how about the Clondalkin Round Tower, near Dublin [we visited this in 2008, on our last bike&tent holiday]

This looks good and sturdy, and ready to protect the monks from marauding Vikings! 27.5m high [admittedly that is tiny in comparison to the three above] it was believed to have been built over 1200 years ago.

Expect updates on Blackpool later….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!