Saturday 12 March 2011

In Stitches

Knitting is very much in fashion at the moment, have you noticed?

In January, Galt Toys launched their free knitting pattern for William and Kate wedding dolls [here]

C&w galt

If you are not thrilled by these two [and admit it, he does look a bit like Postman Pat!] You can shell out lots of money for Fiona Goble’s book of patterns, including these two

C&w telegraph

Chris Evans was on about knitting this morning. I only heard part of what he said before I got to school, but I think there was something about knitters’ catchphrases. I found myself wondering whether there were any verses in the Bible about knitting.

I found these…

Proverbs 31says [in The Message]

She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing

Psalm 94 was encouraging…

For the LORD will not cast off his people

Colossians 2 reminds us that…

their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love

and [my favourite] from John 3

HE must increase, but I must decrease.

[perhaps I should get that on a tee-shirt]

We are having another Coffee & Knitting Event this morning in support of Dave’s Africa Aid.

Havergal-FR

I just had to put this picture in – it is Frances Ridley Havergal – author of all those fabulous hymnsdoing her knitting! [last week at the Ladies Fellowship, we studied her life and prodigious output of verses. One amazing lady]

Whilst researching Bible verses for knitting, I abandoned ‘needles’ as all the reference appeared to be for sewing ones [with eyes blocked up by camels!] but did put ‘pin’ into my search [that being another name for a knitting needle] and I came across a reference in Isaiah 3 to crisping pins. This intrigued me – further investigation shows they were probably curling tongs!

curling tongs

needles

2 comments:

  1. I notice that Kate`s dress is very similar in both pictures. Are the knitters in the know....will Kate have a knitted dress....
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one from John 3 is my favorite too! It would be great on a T shirt!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!