Friday 11 March 2011

The Future's Bright…

…the future’s Orange.

DSCF2001

These beautiful orange tulips reminded me of that slogan – although it is three years since the phone company ditched that ad [originally launched back in 1994]. I’m sure many other people have the phrase in their memories though.

Ads can fix themselves in your brain – Werther’s will always be “OAP toffees” for me, even though it is five years since Grandpa was pensioned off.

werthers

FOOD; Ah, Bisto!, Beanz Means Heinz, And all because the lady loves Milk Tray, Go To Work On An Egg

DRINK; Guinness is Good For You, Probably the Best Lager in the World, Heineken Refreshes The parts Other Beers Cannot Reach, Schhh-You Know Who

SMOKING ONES; Happiness is a Cigar called Hamlet, Players Please

FAST FOOD; I’m Lovin’ It, It’s The Real Thing, Finger Lickin Good, Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin' highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' coolfizzin' Pepsi

BEAUTY PRODUCTS; Because You’re Worth It, Maybe She’s Born With It, Which Twin Has The Toni? [that’s a REALLY old one!]

MOTORING; The Car In Front Is A Toyota, You Can Be Sure Of Shell, Vorsprung Durch Technik

Some slogans have become quite separate from their original companies- which must have been frustrating for those who spent a fortune on the ad campaigns.

Naughty But Nice

A Diamond Is Forever

It’s Good To Talk

Say It With Flowers

[National Dairy Council, De Beers, BT and Interflora]

the unforgettable Les Dawson….

And what about the world of “Creatures in Adverts”

Smash Aliens, PG Tips Monkeys, Dulux Dogs, Andrex Puppies, and of course, Alexander the Meerkat.

These days I seem to watch all my TV ‘playing catch up’ with recorded programmes- so I zizz through the ad breaks [and if it is ‘real time’ I nip to the loo, or go and put the kettle on] I think I am not as aware of ads as I used to be.

Report this woman for child neglect!

This one used to worry me stupid when I was a little girl – how could his mother go off and leave the boy on his own like that? And what if the front door slammed as he stood at the gate and he couldn’t get in again? [especially if it started raining?] And what if she did forget? Anything could happen! And furthermore a woman who dressed up that smartly wouldn’t have had the milk on the table in a bottle would she? She would use a jug!

Which slogans do you remember – loved, or loathed?

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I popped over from mrsnesbitts :) You've tied my brain up for the whole day with this post! I can't think straight, never mind remember a slogan besides all the ones you have mentioned! I shall be singing jingles all day :)But one ad you did miss is the original 'Diet Coke break' ;)
    Your blog looks very interesting and I shall be back to read more...soon! Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clark's shoe ad with the know it all big sister "according to Mummy I'm going to be a proper little Madam" Must see if that's on you tube. I seem to be the only one who can remember it.
    BW
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice(?) to be reminded of all the old slogans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Mars Bars - 'a Mars a day, helps you work, rest and play'. I always preferred that to 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1)'Beer at home means Davenports!' - Always at Christmas,complete with bouncing ball pointing out the words to the song.
    2)'As fresh as the moment when the pod went pop!' (Frozen peas)
    3)The Hovis tune.
    The slogans tend to pop into my head;I can throw them into a conversation with Chris but they would be lost on Canadians.
    I used to like Les Dawson; I can remember playing "The Entertainer" on the piano just like he did...very difficult to purposely play that way!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!