Friday 22 January 2010

Frugal Friday

I finally went to the supermarket to do a Big Shop this morning - having been delaying for as long as I could, and eating up odd Christmas leftovers from the freezers. I'd carefully prepared a list beforehand, and I was generally very pleased with the stuff I put into the trolley. I like the convenience of the sainsburys Sainsbury's Self-Scan System, not least because it gives me a running total as I go round the store, so I know what I am spending. In fact, it is better than that, because the money off' stuff is not deducted till the end, so I know that the real total is less than the one showing.

There were loads of things on offer, and I was being very careful not to buy things simply because they were reduced. But one thing [which was on my list] mystified me.

loorimblock Sainsbury's Liquid Rim Loo Cleaner.

These were £1.44 each.

Or £1 for two!

I thought I must have misread it - I asked another shopper what she thought it said. She agreed.

WHO in their right mind would buy only ONE if TWO were cheaper? I slung two in the trolley.

I noticed the refills were on offer as well. £2.04 for a twinpack, or £3 for two. I was halfway towards putting a couple of packs in the trolley as well when I did some calculations...

Two complete things for £1 - that is 50p each. Two twinpacks of refills for £3 - that is 75p each. So it is cheaper to buy the complete units than faff about putting refills in.

Similarly with the loo-rolls - on the 18roll pack, it was labelled "Bigger pack, better value" - but the 12roll pack [this month 16 for price of 12] actually worked out almost 16% cheaper.

laughing cow 

I buy mostly Sainsbury's 'own-brand' goods, and a lot of it is from their 'basics' range. But sometimes that isn't the best value. Today the Laughing Cow Cheese Triangles were way cheaper than Sainsburys own.

 

  "La Vache Qui Rit" is a French company, and I had never come across their products till I went to Bob's parents in the 1970s - his mum used to bring them back from Belgium. The website is fun - not at all cheesy ! [here]

ccherry yogurt

I was very pleased to discover large pots of cherry yogurt on sale again. That is just about our favourite flavour, and it is an economical way to buy it.

Sainsbury's own brand tea, coffee and sugar is Fairtrade, as are many of their flowers, fruit and veg. And much of the meat is sourced from farms where the animals are properly cared for. I am grateful for the fact that we can buy good quality food at low prices- but I am concerned about some aspects of supermarket shopping...

- the 'BOGOF's and three-for-two offers that encourage us to buy much more than we need, and then food goes to waste

- the multipacks of crisps/ sweets/chocolate bars which contribute to our nation's obesity.

- the ridiculously low priced alcohol, which cannot possibly help people to be responsible about their drinking habits.

These things do not help people to shop sensibly!

On the subject of alcohol, isn't it madness that an alcohol-free Red Bull drink costs £1.50 in some pubs - but they reduce the price to 89p if you have a shot of vodka in it! [see here]

...anyway, my trolley was full and at the checkout I discovered I had to have a Total Re-scan - but it didn't take too long, and all was well. There was an assistant on hand to help me with re-packing everything. My various coupons and offers resulted in the final bill being 12% less than that initially shown on the scanner so I was Very Happy.

All is packed away in cupboards, fridge and freezer.

Now to plan some intelligent menus for the next few weeks!

10 comments:

  1. on this occasion I feel some commendation should go to Tesco, for their recent innovation of the Buy one, get one free later system. It's a bogof, but you get the second item at a later date when you redeem a voucher, reducing the likelihood of waste. Even a tesco hater like you must agree that's a sensible idea?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a huge Sainsbury's shop before we came home, but havent tried the scanner yet....is this a bit toooo advanced for me?
    French supermarkets have only recently started the 3 for 2 promotions, usually on huge packs that aare no use unless you have a big family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Steph, I forgot to mention that Sainsburys ALSO do the 'buy one now, get one later' system. I came home with two such vouchers yesterday.
    Elizabeth - you can only use the scanner in one 'nominated' store where you regularly shop. But it is very simple to use, and you soon get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sainsbury's do do things a bit crazy - energy efficient light bulbs were 49p each or 5 for 50p in our store not so long ago???

    I tried Asda this week. I hate Asda - music and the welcomer shouting out bargains on a dodgy microphone like a poor railway announcement but they are cheaper. And I visited a butcher for my meat who had a list of the three farms and farmers his meat had come from - and he was cheaper than the supermarket :)
    Thanks for the buy one buy one later tip - had no idea they do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always check the ticket on the shelf where it says '1.23 a kg' or '2.00 per 100 sheet'. In Tesco I remember a large jar of peanut butter working out more expensive than two smaller ones.

    I read somewhere that for the BOGOF offers the supermarkets often increase the cost of a single item so that you aren't saving as much as you thought. But I haven't investigated that.

    The price of alcohol is ridiculous. The offers where you can get multi-packs of beers for a very cheap price is criminal. It ought to be priced as a luxury not a staple.

    Having said that, I wish real ale was priced cheaper! Lol, but then I'd probably buy too much if it were cheaper. :)

    I 'ates all the big supermarkets...horrid corporate machines. However, I do shop there (I vary which one I go to) because they're cheaper. I sell out my ideals weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a life-long Sainsbug's girl too (you could tell, couldn't you?). It has been interesting moving to Scotland and finding different products in the store. One thing I have noticed, which I didn't in England thgouh it doens't mean it doesn't happen, is that all the farm assured meat is labelled with its farm of origin. What threw me with an online order was that I couldn't order '2l milk' I had to order '2l Scottish milk'!!!!! Evidently Sainsbury's are v. big on local Scottish sourcing. Not saying the T and A supermarkets aren't, just JS is recongised as being good for this aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am greatly relieved that they have Sainsburys in Scotland - altho not as many [Aviemore is 60 miles from the nearest]
    I approve of the 'local sourcing' thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Use your LOAF at the shops (Local, Organic, Animal-Friendly and Fair Trade)

    When food shopping, try to adopt the LOAF principle – that’s local, organic, animal-friendly, fair-traded. For more information, go to www.Christian-ecology.org.uk/loaf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I 'ates asda too - especially as I had a really bad experience working for them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!