Friday 20 November 2009

The Spice Of Life

image

This is the spice rack Liz picked up for a song at a local Church Fete.

The picture shows the rack after she sanded and repainted it. [Apologies for the poor quality of the photo - it came via various mobile phones to my PC.] I think it looks very smart - and will no doubt get plenty of use in Liz's kitchen. She's asked me to make some labels for the spices and will then send me another picture to post on the blog.

Her chosen spices are these...

  • cinnamon
  • lebkuchen
  • mixed spice
  • ginger
  • juniper
  • nigella seed
  • paprika
  • fennel seed
  • coriander seed
  • cayenne pepper
  • curry powder
  • mustard seed
  • I must admit that there are quite a few there which I have never used. 

    I have been doing lots of sewing today - including another project Liz asked me about. Will post photos later about all that.

    What is your favourite spice? I love nutmeg, and have a very old nutmeg grater - I enjoy grating nutmeg into hot drinks, milk puddings and mashed potato. I'm also quite fond of sprinkling smoked paprika into savoury dishes [I keep that in a pretty little tin I got when Liz took me to Budapest back in 2005] Christmas cooking is definitely redolent of cinnamon, and ginger belongs with cold winter nights - but is there a spice for the summer months?

    nigella I presume Mr Lawson named his cooking daughter after the flower and not the seeds!

    3 comments:

    1. Hi Angela,
      Thanks you for your encouragement today!
      My favorite spice is clove. Mmmmmmmm.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love the scent of cinnamon, especially in a mulled wine.
      I think M.,Lawson simply named her after himself...no?

      ReplyDelete
    3. cinnamon - I currently have cinnamon cookie showe gel and it makes me feel as wintery and comforted

      ReplyDelete

    Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
    I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!