Sunday 22 November 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

DSCF0923

Bob commented on the lovely red and green foliage and the rich red berries on some of the bushes in the garden, so I went outside with secateurs to cut some for a vase in the lounge.

DSCF0924

 

 

 

 

It does look wonderfully festive.

 

 

 

The bark on the silver birch is beautiful

 

 

DSCF0928

The hardy fuchsia is in flower too. This was a gift some years ago from our friends George and Ellen. George died this past summer, but the blooms will always remind me of him. He was a tall gentleman, who was particularly fond of singing the old hymns.

DSCF0926

I was about to go inside when I noticed something in the middle of the lawn. The grass is rather long at the moment, but there was one solitary flower right in the middle. I have no idea where it came from - we don't have any of these anywhere else on our patch!

DSCF0921

We are not good gardeners- so these flowers are a joy and a blessing which we do not really deserve! Real gardeners know that you have to put effort in if it is to continue to blossom.

As Kipling said

"Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made, by saying "Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade" 

But life's rather busy at the minute, so there is less "Hoe, hoe, hoe" and more "Ho! Ho! Ho!"

3 comments:

  1. Oh, keep us up to date on all your servant-hearted busyness around town! I love reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'm not a committed gardener. Little bursts of enthusiasm are more my style. You have some lovely colours in your garden, as well as that sweet little surprise flower.

    I've just 'launched' my Advent thingy, with the logo which you can copy and use in your own posts. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tiny pansies have a mind of their own, and are so lovely at this time of year. It will probably take over the garden in due course!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!