Tuesday 28 April 2009

Sabbath Rest

"And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done."

As Bob said on Sunday, this verse from Genesis 2 paints a lovely picture, of the Lord saying "All this 'creating' is hard work, I shall stop and have a rest now!"

We had a peaceful Sunday with Christine - and sung some super hymns and songs, including this one, which I love...

blossom

As water to the thirsty, as beauty to the eyes,
as strength that follows weakness, as truth instead of lies,
as songtime and springtime, and summertime to be,
so is my Lord, my living Lord, so is my Lord to me.

galilee moonlight
Like calm in place of clamour, like peace that follows pain,
like meeting after parting, like sunshine after rain,
like moonlight and starlight and sunlight on the sea,
so is my Lord, my living Lord, so is my Lord to me.
london sunrise

As sleep that follows fever, as gold instead of grey,
as freedom after bondage, as sunrise to the day,
as home to the traveller and all we long to see,
so is my Lord, my living Lord, so is my Lord to me.

chief rabbi

There was a superb piece in the Times on Saturday by the Chief Rabbi about the Sabbath.

He ended with these words "We cannot bring back the Sabbath to the public domain, but we can bring it back to our private lives. We need to because neither the environment nor the economy can be predicated on limitless growth, fed by artificial desire.

One day in seven we should give thanks for what we have and open our eyes to the radiance of the world."

I say "Amen!" to that

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!