Thursday 19 March 2009

A Very Present Help in Trouble

image

I decided eight bookmarks were not enough, so I made eight more. This time I used two different coloured backing pieces, trimmed the inner edge with my little deckle-edge guillotine, and stuck it together with Pritt.

This time it took 20 minutes to make them [so I'll forget doing fancy zigzags in future] I liked the Celtic Cross design and the verse from Psalm 46

I found myself humming "God is our strength and our refuge" to the tune of "The Dambusters March" as I worked.

 

IM003301 That left me rather sad, as I remembered that the man who developed the bouncing bomb, Barnes Wallis, was played in the Dambusters film by Sir Michael Redgrave - whose grand-daughter Natasha Richardson died last night following a skiing accident.

The Redgrave dynasty has contributed literally dozens of actors to the British stage and screen. Sir Michael and his actress wife Rachel Kempson were parents of Vanessa, Lynn and Corin - and grandparents to Natasha and Joely Richardson, and Jemma Redgrave - all excellent actors.

richardson&neeson Natasha leaves two young sons, and her husband, Liam Neeson. Right now, among all the roles that the family have played, the one that I keep remembering is Neeson's moving portrayal of a widowed father in "Love Actually" as he seeks to comfort his bereft boy. I feel sorry that now he is experiencing that role in real life. I pray that this family will find comfort and strength as they face this difficult time. The words of Psalm 46 have certainly been a help to me in times of stress and sadness...

God is our strength and refuge,
our present help in trouble;
and we therefore will not fear,
though the earth should change
Though mountains shake and tremble,
though swirling floods are raging,
God the Lord of hosts
   is with us evermore

There is a flowing river,
within God's holy city;
God is in the midst of her -
she shall not be moved
God's help is swiftly given,
thrones vanish at His presence -
God the Lord of hosts
   is with us evermore

Come, see the works of our Maker,
learn of His deeds all powerful;
wars will cease across the world
when he shatters the spear
Be still and know your Creator,
uplift Him in the nations -
God the Lord of hosts
   is with us evermore

2 comments:

  1. That was such sad news.

    Your bookmarks are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very clever - love the book marks.

    I have followed the Natasha Richardson story over the past few days in utter disbelief - very very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!