Friday 27 March 2009

I wish this WAS a joke, but I am afraid it isn't...

Catriona suggested it was time for more maths stuff - so here is one Bob shared with me yesterday...[He is SO romantic!]

maths exam

TEACHING MATHS IN 1970

A logger sells a load of timber for £1000. His cost of production is 4/5 of the selling price. What is his profit?

TEACHING MATHS IN 1980

A logger sells a load of timber for £1000. His cost of production is 4/5 of the selling price [£800]. What is his profit?

TEACHING MATHS IN 1990

A logger sells a load of timber for £1000. His cost of production is £800. Did he make a profit?

TEACHING MATHS IN 2000

A logger sells a load of timber for £1000. His cost of production is £800, his profit is £200.

Your assignment - Underline the number 200

TEACHING MATHS IN 2009

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is totally selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of £200.

What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? There are no wrong answers, but if you are upset about the plight of the animals in question, counselling will be available.

2 comments:

  1. So I guess - sorry I "estimate to the seventh decimal place" - that if I were taking GCSE maths in 2009 rather then in 1979 I might get better than the "C" grade I have????

    I am terrible at all things maths yet part of my degree was maths - honestly- lol!

    My hubby laughed when I was asked to be treasurer at church!!

    My maths teacher said that I would pass my maths if mine was the last paper marked, it was past midnight and the marker was drunk. When I passed she said "Well I don't know how you did that!"

    So I guess teaching has changed over the years too - I hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that as an ex teacher I shrieked with laughter over this....but isnt it sad really? What has been done to children in the name of education?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!