Friday 26 September 2008

A Smashing Time

Bob's away and I fully intended to get up really early and get on with my tasks. But I never set the alarm and managed to sleep till past 8am, which is really unusual for me, I am normally awake around 6.30am.

So of course I got up and rushed around trying to catch up [never a good idea] Following a HUGE shop at Aldi last night [they've got all their dried fruits etc on offer this week] I was able to start my Christmas Baking.

Out with the two trusted cookbooks

IM002859

I have been using the GH one for thirty years and the Martha one for about half that time. It was the first MS book I ever got, and began my long fascination with this utterly bizarre woman. But I do like her method for cooking Christmas Puds [in a Bain Marie in the oven] It makes them lovely and moist, and doesn't steam up the kitchen. Also [confession] the long slow steaming seems to realise any baked on crud inside my oven, so it is easier to give it a thorough clean afterwards! [It's OK, the puds are covered with greaseproof - it's not as if grot can drop into them while they bake]

Here are the results of this morning's labours. I will cook the cake and puds on my return from this afternoon's Christian Aid Tea Party.

IM002857

The pudding mixture is "developing its flavours" in my wonderful Mason Cash Mixing Bowl - a treasured Christmas gift from Liz and Steph many years ago. I do miss having the girls around for pud-making. We had a tradition of everybody coming to stir the mix, and then we wrote down our prayers for the forthcoming year. [none of this superstitious Wish Stuff round here!] We would look at the previous year's list and realise just how many of the prayers had been answered. Everyone had three things on their list

  1. A prayer for themselves [usually related to Xmas gfts!]
  2. A prayer for someone else
  3. A prayer for our church fellowship

There were originally eight jars of marmalade, but [rushing about as usual] one went for a Burton.

IM002856 

Question 1 - Why does a dropped jar scatter bits of glass SO FAR across the kitchen?

Question 2 - Why do I fret that my marmalade won't set, only to discover it DOES set, instantly, into viscous, sticky patches, across a range of about 6 feet!

Question 3 - Why did I spend 10 minutes hunting for the missing lid [bearing in mind there is no longer an intact jar to screw it on to] and how did it get round a corner, and underneath the freezer in the Utility Room, where I found it ages later after I had given up searching?

I remembered a wonderful Ogden Nash poem I learned whilst I was a student. He wrote about milk - marmalade appears to follow the same rules.

ONE TIMES ONE IS EIGHT

Either old magic or new math

into our house has beat a path

How else could Einstein or Diogenes

Explain an exploit of our progeny's?

While at the table with his milk

A child upsets a glass of milk.

The glass held half a pint when filled -

And half a gallon when it spilled!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for the smashed marmalade. When you are in a hurry things always make bigger messes and you can't find what you want. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor is STILL sticky.
    I just cleaned it AGAIN!
    At least it was only ONE of the jars, not the whole batch!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!