Monday 21 July 2008

Proverbs 31;17

Working hard even though it is a Day Off. We've been busy gardening! The grass is cut, the shrubs are pruned [and the clippings shreIM002691dded] and the bench has been oiled again. For years, I wanted a proper garden bench - and was utterly thrilled when the church gave us one for our Silver Wedding four years ago.

IM002693

 

 

 

 

 

 

It has a lovely padded green cushion, and when the weather is good, it is great to sit outside and relax - or work on my laptop, or read a book - and in the evenings, I enjoy sitting outside with Bob, chatting and drinking tea!

Despite my lack of green fingers, things are growing surpriIM002688singly well- the hebe is flourishing and so is the olive bush. Not sure if we will get edible olives though.

The fig has been moved outside for the summer.

IM002692

 

We have had some amazingly attractive snails around too - and today we saw loads of dragonflies flashing green and blue. They wouldn't settle toIM002690 be photographed.

 

 

 

 

 

Bob is greatly amused by my new bloggers-habit  of stopping every so often to take a photograph. I need the practice - look how I have chopped off the top of his head in the first picture!

One cause for excitement this morning was my ivy&rose bowl which Adrian, Marion and Lucy sent for my birthday - this is what it looked like then. The roses died away and I moved the bowl outside. Today I noticed a lovely new roseIM002687 blossoming.

If you are reading this blog in Norfolk, Sarah, please pop across the road and tell Marion her rose is blooming, in case I forget to mention it!

Sarah [whose fabulous fortieth birthday party I had to miss last month due to commitments here] lives in Norfolk across the road from A,M & L, and her husband Richard has a great new blog called OilyBlog - all about performance cars.

After the gardening stuff, we went out to test the new helmet intercom on the bike, with moderate success. Thus far it seems Bob can activate his mic, and speak to me, and then I can reply, but I do not seem to be able to initiate the conversation. Which is probably the safest option really!

Even though it was Monday, we had more Holiday Club stuff to sort out. Having Dave to do so much of the work over the last 3 years has been a great help and we really miss that this summer. HOWEVER in an overwhelming gesture of practical support and Christian love, the Deacons have decided that next week, they are going to sort out our meals. I've been told to expect stuff ready for the oven or freezer, and they have already checked with Steph as to our likes and dislikes. This is SUCH a weight off my mind - it is a real relief knowing there will be a decent meal each day when we crash out utterly exhausted [and would perhaps have been tempted to go to the chippie or the Chinese night after night] We are truly blessed with some lovely and generous people in our fellowship.

Two good services yesterday, the evening sermon was on Psalm 27

The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? 
    The LORD is the stronghold of my life
— of whom shall I be afraid?

and one great quote [Bob said he couldn't find the original source]

"Fear is the small darkroom in which negatives are developed"

5 comments:

  1. WRONG!
    "look how I have chopped off the top of his head in the first picture"

    RIGHT!
    'Look how artistic my photos are becoming already'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could make you a meal too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two! One unexpected joy of blogging is the discovery of good friends who endourage you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you like southern cooking, but I'll introduce you to southern fried chicken, cole slaw, biscuits (a small round plain piece of bread that rises with baking powder or soda and is then baked in an oven), and ice cream pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of Ice Cream Pie.
    As to southern cooking - we call biscuits 'scones' over here.
    I had grits once and didn't like them!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!