Thursday 3 July 2008

Facing things in a new way

Last Sunday, after church, I was standing in the Car Park chatting to my friend Ann [she of the baby hat] and she started explaining a new technique of doing applique, by backing the patch with a nappy liner of all things! So on Monday, I went into Mothercaremothercare] [conveniently located near Maplin, where I often seem to spend my Mondays!] and picked up a pack of 100 liners for £2.40.

nappy liner

 

 

   The idea is that you sew the liner to the back of the patch, trim neatly and clip curves, then cut a small cross in the patch and turn it through. This gives you a neatly edged patch ready to apply to your project. No photos of this - simply because I haven't tried it yet!

BUT on Monday afternoon I was doing some other sewing and suddenly realised that using nappy liners was a brilliant way of making a facing for something small [e.g. doll's clothes] where you don't want a double thickness of fabric, and you really need something slightly thinner than interfacing. outfit with facings

This is a picture of the edge of Monday's project. You can see how the nappy liner makes and incredibly neat facing/lining. But you can't see any more, because this is a gift and I am not publishing the whole picture just yet! When I do, I shall do a proper tutorial on the technique.

It was last Girls' Sewing Club of the season yesterday. Abbie reported that she had taken her bag into school and been asked if she'd got it in Top Shop! Bethany had printed my tutorial from the blogpost so she could work on her bag at home. All the girls got their bags finished last night! They are SO keen.

On the subject of 'facing things differently', or "Seeing With New Eyes" I am really pleased that the Women's Dept of the Baptist World Alliance has just released all the material for the 2008 Baptist World Day of Prayer in November.

They are really good at publishing it well in advance, to enable groups to modify its content to suit their own particular situation.We will certainly be using it at our Ladies Fellowship.

2008dopheader

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For as long as I can remember - which is a mighty long time - I have worked through this service each November, and found it incredibly helpful. My Mum was a keen supporter - so I've had half a century of it! What saddens me is the fact that it is usually paid very little attention by BUGB and the Baptist Times. I know churches are sent a condensed, rewritten version of the material in the autumn - but it comes late in the day for planning, and last year's stuff was incredibly uninspiring when compared to the BWA original material. I am 100% convinced that this is all down to the demise of the BUGB Women's Department, and consequent breakdown in official links with the European Baptist Women's Union, and the BWA Women's Department.

As a denomination we are FAILING MISERABLY in our attitude and support for Women's Work. Female friends out there in the churches are working really hard with all age groups, providing work,witness and worship for the women - but I don't feel much support for what we are doing from Didcot. This leaves me sad and frustrated.

Rant over. I am going out to [yet another] meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!