Monday 30 June 2008

More puddings!

During last week's trip to IKEA I picked up a copy of their 'Family' magazine. There were two useful complementary frozen dessert recipes - one using egg yolks [from this book]  and the other egg whites. So I made up both and we enjoyed them at the weekend. However, I did have to make some modifications, as I didn't have any whipping cream [so substituted 'squirty' stuff] and also IKEA's recipe needed lingonberry cordial and frozen cranberries - but I only had Ribena and fresh strawberries. Also the first one was meant to be a 'bombe' but I served it in 2 ramekins.

The icecream we enjoyed on Saturday [before I remembered to take a photo - sorry] and the sorbet worked well for lunch AND supper.

COFFEE AND VANILLA ICE CREAM - serves 2ikea

  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 50g sugar
  • 150ml hot milk
  • 200ml of 'squirty' cream
  • ½tsp vanilla extract
  • 3tsp strong coffee
  • 1½ tbsp nutella

Whisk yolks, conflour and sugar till smooth. Ad dsmilk slowly, whisking. Heat for 5 mins stirring constantly. Cool. Stir in the cream. Divide in two - add coffee to one, and vanilla to other. Freeze 1½ hours. Warm Nutella in microwave till runny. Remove ice creams from freezer and stir gently. Divide vanilla ice between 2 glass ramekins. Pour 1 tsp warmed Nutella over each one. Put coffee ice on top. Pour remaining Nutella over. Return to freezer till ready to serve.

SUMMER SORBET - serves 2 greedy people or 4 with smaller dishes!

  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup Ribena [or IKEA Lingonberry Cordial ]
  • 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries [or frozen cranberries]
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • fruit to garnish [I used some red seedless grapes]

Beat egg whites, fold in cordial, fruit, sugar. Pour into plastic dish. Freeze at least 5 hours. Stir before serving. IM002626 Garnish.

Here they are in the lovely glass dishes I inherited from Bob's Mum. This is before Bob's portion got covered in squirty cream! Well, he had worked VERY hard during the morning service and deserved a treat, I felt.

Being hot and thirsty, we were drinking J20 [Sainsbury's and Aldi both do a cheaper copy of that now] diluted with fizzy water.

IM002629

 

I served these long cool drinks in the wonderful "Meniscus" glasses which came from Liz's days at The Tate.

On the Tate website, designer Richard Wentworth says, "I like the way we say 'I'll be with you as soon as I finish my drink'. The 'Meniscus' glass offers us the ability to measure our pleasure: by oral temperament, liquid time elapsed, sips, mouthfuls and gulps."

This was my first ever attempt at a sorbet, and I was amazed how a; easy and b; successful it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!