Thursday 1 May 2008

Divorced, beheaded, died...

henry VIII The Year 4's at school are learning about the Tudors. I love teaching this period in history, and the kids seem to enjoy it too. They have all learned the 'divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived' mnemonic about the fate of his six wives, but they struggle to learn the actual names of the wives in the right order. Yesterday I taught them a mnemonic I made up a few years back - Any Body Should Count Henry's Partners - Aragon, Boleynhenry's wives, Seymour, Cleves, Howard, Parr. It was encouraging to realise today that some of them have actually learned it!

Not that I would have wanted to be around in Tudor times, it wasn't exactly safe for those of a Baptist persuasion!

Or for determined women either!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that takes me back!

    I remember learning them, phonetically, as Katherine Anne Jane Anne Katherine Katherine and noting that the surnames of each set run alphabetically...

    Annes as Boleyn then Cleves
    Katherines as Aragon, Howard and Parr

    Not as neat as your method though.

    Mabe this was why I failed 'O' level history....

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!